|10/05/2015||Second place on Corsica: Lappi continues ŠKODA's run of success in the WRC 2|
Second place on Corsica: Lappi continues ŠKODA's run of success in the WRC 2
"A storm and complicated track conditions: The Rally Corsica, which is demanding anyway, really was an even bigger challenge than usual this year. However, the ŠKODA team and the Fabia R5 also mastered this difficult challenge. Special praise goes to Esapekka Lappi and Janne Ferm, who kept a cool head in these conditions and truly deserved their spot on the podium," said ŠKODA Motorsport Director Michal Hrabánek.
After seven special stages and well over 245 kilometres, Lappi trailed Frenchman Julien Maurin by just 20.9 seconds at the "rally of 10,000 turns". After a thrilling duel lasting for the duration of the rally, it was not until the last stage of the final day that the winner was decided.
"Of course we would have loved to win, but we are very pleased with second place. It was one of the most difficult rallies of my career, with the completely unpredictable conditions on the asphalt on day one in particular. Water, stones, mud – fortunately our ŠKODA Fabia R5 delivered another perfect performance," said Lappi.
The "Flying Finn" is in second place in the WRC 2 overall standings going into the remaining two events of the season and trails front-runner Nasser Al-Attiyah (Q) by just nine points.
1. Maurin/Klinger (F/F), Ford Fiesta S2000 2:46:11.3 hrs.
2. Lappi/Ferm (FIN/FIN), ŠKODA Fabia R5 + 0:20.9 min.
3. Camilli/Veillas (F/F), Ford Fiesta R5 + 3:42.9 min.
4. Breen/Scott (IRL/GB), Peugeot 208 T16 R5 + 3:49.7 min.
5. Suninen/Markkula (FIN/FIN), Ford Fiesta R5 + 4:26.9 min.
Next WRC rally: Rally Spain 22.10.–25.10.2015
Parts of the track on the first day of the Rally Germany wound through picturesque vineyards with tricky hairpin bends on slippery asphalt. And it was one of these slow bends that proved to be the demise of WRC 2 overall front-runner Esapekka Lappi (FIN).
- It was a real blow. I was in second gear on a turn with dirt on the track and slipped off the road completely. I can only apologise to the entire ŠKODA Motorsport team, said Lappi.
Esapekka Lappi/Janne Ferm (FIN/FIN) shone at the ninth event of the FIA World Rally Championship season with seven best times in WRC 2. A mistake on the second special stage at the Rally Germany put paid to any hopes of a top result.
- After this mistake we were able to gain valuable experience here. We will be back on the attack in the next races and we will do better, said Lappi.
Nasser Al-Attiyah regained the championship lead by finishing fourth. The Qatari held a two-point advantage over Esapekka Lappi.
1. Kopecký/Dresler (CZ/CZ), ŠKODA Fabia R5 3:47:18.8 hrs.
2. Camilli/Veillas (F/F), Ford Fiesta R5 + 4:13.8 min.
3. Giordano/Sarreaud (F/F), Citroën DS3 S2000 + 6:14.7 min.
4. Al-Attiyah/Baumel (Q/F), ŠKODA Fabia R5 + 6:36.5 min.
5. Breen/Scott (IRL/GB), Peugeot 208 T16 R5 + 6:54.0 min.